Stop mold in its tracks!

Stop mold in its tracks!

July 30, 2015 Off By Jane

Mold is much more than the green, fuzzy stuff that grows on your child’s three-day-old lunch.  It’s a dangerous substance that can be found in your home, causing all kinds of havoc.  From health problems to structural damage to your home, mold can cause a host of problems.  For that reason, it’s important to take steps to both keep mold away and to catch existing mold in its early stages.  For that, there are companies that specialize in mold inspection.  They can help with mold remediation so you can rest easy knowing your family is protected.

The Unknown Dangers of Mold

Many people make the mistake of assuming that mold is nothing more than an unsightly side effect of having a basement.  The truth is, however, that mold can actually be a very real threat to your health.  Mold spores can cause respiratory problems such as asthma and chronic cough, as well as migraines, skin rashes and sinus infections.  More serious, though rare, complications from coming in contact with mold can include memory loss and other cognitive issues.  As you can see, ignoring the presence of mold in your basement can potentially manifest itself in more frequent trips to the doctor!

Why Does Mold Grow in Basements?

Mold thrives in wet or damp, dark conditions.  Because of that, most basements provide ideal conditions for the growth of mold.  Don’t panic if you suspect there is mold in your basement, however.  There are many companies who specialize in mold removal and remediation who can help.  As soon as you notice the first signs of mold, call a specialist immediately.  Mold thrives and grows very quickly in the right conditions, so you don’t want to wait any longer than necessary to seek help.  They will not only take the steps necessary to remove the existing mold they will also take steps to help reduce the likelihood of further mold growth infestations.

How to Prevent Mold Growth

For your part, even if you have never seen any mold in your basement, there are steps you can take to ensure that conditions are unfavourable for the growth of mold.  One of the most important things you can do is to purchase a dehumidifier.  By dehumidifying the air (that is, removing the moisture from the air) you will create a more arid environment that is much less conducive to mold.

You should not, however, attempt to remove mold from your home on your own in most cases. The EPA suggests that doing so can cause the spores to become airborne and easily inhaled.  Professional mold remediation companies have the knowledge and expertise to remove mold safely.  Moreover, they have safety equipment (masks, gloves, etc.) to ensure that the mold is removed safely and thoroughly, leaving no dangerous spores behind.

What Types of Mold are Toxic

There are many types of mold that can be found in homes and all should be treated with caution. Certain molds, such as black mold, can emit toxins into the air which is why it’s important to have a professional inspect for and remove any mold you may find. In addition to black mold, other toxic varieties include stachybotrys, penicillium and aspergillus. These molds produce mycotoxins, which can cause serious health issues if left unchecked.

How to Tell if Mold is Toxic

If the mold has a musty odor and is visibly wet or slimy, it is most likely a harmful variety that should be dealt with immediately. If you’re unsure you can also purchase an at-home test kit at the local hardware store, but you might as well call a professional instead because the cost difference is small and the risk of mistakes is too high.

Taking Action Against Mold

If you suspect that there may be mold growing in your home, don’t hesitate to take action. Call a professional immediately for an assessment and potential remediation services. This will go a long way towards protecting the health of everyone in your home.

Hiring a professional mold removal service will not only get the job done quickly, they will do so safely and thoroughly, so you can rest assured that you and our family are safe from the potential dangers of mold.