How to Test Drive a New Car Before Buying

It is thought that around 90% of people who buy a new car, test drive it before deciding about it. We are not sure what that says about the other 10%, other than they are very foolish. Now, many of them probably managed to buy a new car and didn’t suffer any problems or issues as a result of going into the purchase with their hands over their eyes. But, it’s the potential for making mistakes and those mistakes being rather expensive which is why we would advise against buying without test driving it first.

Why Test Drive?

The reasons why you should test drive a car before buying it are the same as why you should try on clothing before buying them. You want to make sure, in both scenarios, that they are a good fit for you. You need to feel comfortable sitting in, driving and travelling in a car, just as you do with a pair of jeans or a new frock. When you are looking at new car sales, test drives will help you determine the makes and models that are right for you.

When you arrange for a test drive, there are certain things you need to look out for. We have outlined some of the most important below.

Take Your Whole Family Along

Some people may think it’s best to handle all test drives on their own. Thinking that the peace and quiet will help them to figure out if it’s a good fit for them or not. However, the opposite is almost always better. You should not only take along your partner or spouse for the test drive, but any children you have, because you need to know how everyone who will be travelling in the car frequently finds the experience.

Check You Have an Unobstructed View

When checking the car while you test drive it, ensure the view you have through all the mirrors is clear and unobstructed. You also need to ensure that you are able to keep a close eye on all the important gauges and levels displayed on the dashboard.

Check the Various Controls

Run through the basic controls. Check the air conditioning functions properly. Find the turn signals and take some turns to make sure they work as they should. Run the windshield wipers, even just briefly, to make sure there are no faults. Basically, check all the controls to make sure you can operate them comfortably and easily. In some models, many people find their fingers are too big for operating levers, buttons and switches.

Check the Brakes and Handling

Obviously, you need to know that the car will handle well on the road and that the brakes work. Just because you are looking for a vehicle in the new car sales market, doesn’t mean everything will work properly. So always make sure you the accelerator and brakes respond as they should, and that the vehicle is easy to maneuver.